What the heck is culture?
According to the British English dictionary on my Mac the origin of the word is interesting:
“Middle English (denoting a cultivated piece of land): the noun from French culture or directly from Latin cultura ‘growing, cultivation’; the verb from obsolete French culturer or medieval Latin culturare, both based on Latin colere ‘tend, cultivate’ (see cultivate). In late Middle English the sense was ‘cultivation of the soil’ and from this (early 16th century), arose ‘cultivation (of the mind, faculties, or manners’)”
So as opposed to nature culture is touched changed and worked on by humans.
My cultural interest lies mainly in these six fields:
- The arts in the broadest sense of te word
- Technology, specifically these technologies that are geared towards self sufficiency
- Philosophy as the way in which we understand reality
- Spirituality as the way in which we communicate with the Creator, whom I call lovingly Great Spirit
- Social structures and politics
- and last but not least strategies on how to live in a money based economy and not lose any basic freedoms or your sanity.
All and any of them will pop up regularly in my posts and pages.